Friday, December 18, 2020

Reflections: Moving by Ensinus-ETP/INETE, Lisbon Portugal (December)

Have you lived the experience of moving? 

My adaptation to Portugal  ✌


 It all started on February 13, 2017, when my mother and I moved to Portugal.  At first I was not happy to come and leave my family, friends etc ... behind.  Of course I was excited, because it would be my first international trip and it would be with my mother.  My uncles and my cousin have lived here for 2 months, and in the beginning we would all live together.  I arrived in Portugal on February 14 at 07:00 am and my uncles and my cousin came to pick us up, my first impression of Portugal was not the best, I was used to a very big city, with several modern buildings and a lot of heat and  very wide spaces, in Portugal it was quite the opposite, the streets were small, the buildings were older and it was very cold.  In the first year it was very difficult for me because I missed home and I didn't feel comfortable in that environment even with my uncles, we moved and for a long time my mother and I lived in a room until today we have our home.  It was very difficult for me to adapt to the Portuguese culture, I was very introverted around the Portuguese, I couldn't adapt to the typical foods of the country, and at the beginning I wanted to leave.  After a year I met a group of Brazilians and I felt more comfortable and closer to home, since then I have met many Brazilians, I made a lot of friends, I traveled all over Lisbon, traveled to other places like Porto, GerĂȘs, and learned to like Portugal.  I confess that there is a lot of difference between one country and others, but today I live very well in Portugal and I really like living here, the process was slow but today I can say that I love Portugal.


Isabela Rocha


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spread the word! Issue 1 December, 2020

Introduction :  We are very eager to start our project after a tough time preparing protocols and secure spaces to work with our students du...